Old 02-24-06, 06:11 PM
kamoke

Bikes: Trek 1000c, Trek 520.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
poor old me

If you're worried you might not be ready for the long tour, that your gear isn't at least top quality, and that you don't have enough money, then don't worry. I think it comes down to how bad you really want to get out there to see and smell the country. I find the people around me are always telling themselves that the price is too high, and that they just can't let go of the consistancy of their day-to-day lives. I agree with them in a way, and I often envy their level of contentness. And thats what I believe it all boils down to in the end. If you're content with working the 8-4:30 weekdays with weekends off where you clean the house and do laundry, then so be it. If you're content with riding your bike 10 hours a day for 2 months while not really advancing in the typical sense, then so be it. Someone said it; "to each his own," and thats what it's all about - everyone doing their own thing.
One thing that I'm trying to realize is that it's not the nice gear that makes your experience what it is, it's the fact that you're out seeing and doing things that most people only dream of doing.
Like right now I have no job and am living with my mom here in this tiny town. I don't have any panniers, and I'm in the hole $1000. Honestly, it's ****. But what I do have is a bicycle and a one-way plane ticket for May. I don't think I realize how amazing that actually is. I think I let the bad overshadow the good, and it gets me down. It also has do do with the weather. Winter. With 30cm of snow predicted tonight, it feels like winter is never going to end here.
But it will, it does every year.
one thing I am thankful for is that I found something to hold on to in time when it seems I have nothing more then the weather to count on. Cycling is something that I love to do, no matter how I do it, and it is probably one of the thing I enjoy most in my life.

Anyway, [end rant]