Old 02-25-06, 07:17 AM
Tag1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been doing lots of searches and reading on this forum since I've been getting back into MTB. Lot's of good info, and I'm learning heaps. But everytime I blink someone is saying how Trek's suck, blah, blah.

These seem to be a few of the reasons:

Everyone has one. Everyone has a Honda too, I see lot's of old ones on the road...I guess they must suck as well. It's funny that in your quest for individuality, you've let the masses define your preference after all. Sucker.

Newbs may buy them because they've heard that Lance rides one. This one is great: Since other people buy them for possibly stupid reasons, that makes you hate the manufacturer (instead of the people) for an even more pathetic reason. Brilliant.

Broad groundless statements, like hearing about the frames breaking, or someone's uncle's brother's goldfish's cousin getting bad customer service. That stuff exists for every company. Even the best companies have to deal with a**holes sometimes, who walk away and spread malicious drivel.

They come with Bontrager in-house components. Bontrager stuff seems arguably as good as anything else in most price ranges, and so what if it's in-house? Most components get upgraded by us anyways after a while anyway, in the never-ending quest for new stuff...

So...I wanted to bring this out because I think it stinks that a total newb might come here and be swayed by some of you to buy a Specialized etc instead of a Trek - when the Trek may have potentially fit them better and offered a more enjoyable ride. To be fair, for as many people here who say "don't buy a trek", there are some who say "buy what fits", which seems to me to be the best advice. Especially at the lower price points that most people are looking to purchase their first MTB at, brand seems to hardly make a difference as much as fit and comfortability.

I bought my wife a Trek 6500wsd and she loves the heck out of it. It fits like a glove and operates flawlessly. It's been a great stepping-stone into MTB for her, and I love that she loves to ride now. I can't find a single thing to dislike about her bike, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Trek in a hot second. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a Specialized, Kona, whatever - if it felt right.

In summary, this brand-bashing is really quite immature IMO, and potentially somewhat harmful to an inexperienced person visiting these forums for the first time. Personal dislikes are your God-given right, but seems we ought to stick to the facts when it comes to offering advice.

The End