Old 02-27-06, 03:19 AM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by worker4youth
thanks cascade, for that very thorough info. Where do I need to make adjustments in order to get the bearing tight again? I would rather not do a complete overhaul this time, seeing as how much time I better invest. Usually when you say 45 minutes, if it's my first time, I probably should triple that to 2.5 hours.
Whoops, I just re-read the title of the thread. You do have the M520 model. Ok, it's best to have the TL40 tool to grab the knurlings on the lock bolt. The lock bolt, BTW, is plastic and pretty soft. If I did not have the TL40 I think I'd just get a pair of common slip joint pliers and very carefully grip the lock bolt and loosen it that way. I'm just guessing that common pliers will work, so you will need to judge for yourself. Once the lock nut breaks loose from the pedal body it should turn pretty easily. None of mine have ever been deadly tight. If you do use pliers and it does not come loose right away I'd suggest you stop and acquire the correct tool. You can get it here:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg..._id=SH-TL-PD40

It's too bad ..... Shimano used to include these with the pedal sets.

Don't forget to hold the pedal axle steady when you first try to turn the lock bolt.