View Single Post
Old 03-01-06, 07:59 PM
HoustonB
Βanned.

Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by * jack *
Well, in a car, if there is a solid yellow line on the roadway and a vehicle passes me on the left as I'm turning left while signaling, they are at fault if there is a collision.

Being gutsy and having right of way are two different things. What's that old adage? Many tombstones could be engraved with "But I had Right of Way"...

I always combine the head turn with an arm signal, and only make the move if I have adequate space relative to the speed of the traffic behind me. I do something safer if the conditions aren't good. The challenge is making it possible in the most intelligent way. I don't trust any driver to understand their "duty to either stop or negotiate a safe passage around me."

If you have established your postion in the lane, and you are signaling your intent, you have right of way in regards to the traffic behind you. You still have to yield to oncoming traffic of course.
Finally, someone I can agree with. Obviously, since I am still compos mentis, I have not overly asserted my right-of-way.