cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rebirth of a Dura-Ace track hub

So my buddy is looking to build up an old GT track frame on the cheap. He asks me if I have an old track wheel I can sell him for cheap until he can afford to buy a new one. As it happens I have a VERY old Dura-Ace wheel sitting in my basement. It is a high flange with the blue sides....7600 I think? I abused the hell out of this hub....and the bearing races are totally shot. I tell my friend that if he wants to repack it with some new bearings and cones he should get some use out of it. Heres where the discovery was made.
Looking at the hub with the axle removed it looks like it might be possible to remove/replace the bearing cups in the hub. Out comes the punch and hammer and the old cups are removed. As inspection of the hub is made....it appears that the remaining bearing space in the hub might take a cartridge bearing. BINGO!!.....6001 bearings fit nice and snug in the hub-shell and with the addition of a Miche axle and cones the first? Dura-Ace cartridge bearing hub is born.
He even drilled a little hole in the center of the hub and put an old Campy oil hole cover in the middle.