Mild Al
Slow But Handsome

Bikes: Old steel Roadmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also bike shopping, and I've reached several conclusions:

1.) Putting me on a $2000 bike would be like giving a Stradivarius to a chimpanzee. I'm just not strong/fast/conditioned enough to take advantage of it. The most important part of any bike is the engine.

2.) In any sport or activity, we all want to feel accepted, and one way to do that is to buy the "right" equipment. This may be one reason that beginners in any activity put so much stress on equipment, whereas old pros--who feel more secure about their status--are sometimes less particular. (Example: I have a friend who's a professional artist, and he sometimes sketches with a ballpoint pen!)

3.) If I bought a $2000 bike, I'd be afraid to ride it to the store, or to work, or in the rain, or anywhere where it might get stolen, damaged, scratched, soiled, rusted, mangled, etc. I wouldn't even want to leave it in my garage, which frankly is a filthy mess. I'd have to keep it upstairs, next to my bed. And that would be weird.

4.) Even if I wanted a $2000 bike, I'm too broke to get one, unless I go into debt. I'd rather pay cash for a $750 bike and be able to sleep at night.

Obviously, other people have more (or less) money than I do, and their conclusions will be different.