Old 03-03-06, 06:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
There's a few climbs I've done the past couple years on the NC mountains that can be pretty challenging. One of my training routes up there has a 6 miles climb that probably averages 8-10% but the last 1/4 miles is around 19-20%. There is 2 mile climb later on in that route that averages 7-8% but the last 50 yards is 21%.

Mt Mitchell is coming up in May and nothing on that 100+ miles ride is very steep but most of the last 30 miles is 6-7% so you're just grinding away for a few hours.

The Grandfather Mt ride in September has a 12 mile climb that probably averages 6-7% and the last 2 miles up Grandfather probably averages 8-10%.

I have not ridden Blood, Sweat and Gears but hope to this summer. It has 13,000 ft of climbing over 100 miles and features a 4 mile climb up Snake Mt where it approaches 20% near the top.

If I can get rid of 2-3 lbs off my bike it will be very, very much appreciated and noticeable going up those hills.

I just saw "the perfect bike" for what I'm after........now if the Chancellor will just come through with some scholarship funds for my kids I'd be home free!! I wonder if you can get a student loan for a bicycle........hummm.........