Thread: moustache bars
View Single Post
Old 03-04-06, 01:11 AM
MacG
don't pedal backwards...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker set up for commuting and loaded touring, old Sekine road frame converted to fixed-gear, various beaters and weird bikes, waiting on the frame for my Surly Big Dummy build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, maybe it wasn't as bad as 2cm. I can't remember exactly how much it looked like now. I do know that I thought I had done my homework and planned things out so I would get a nearly perfect chainline with the new BB and cranks, and when I torqued the drive side crank onto the spindle and held a ruler up against the chainring, it was far from nearly perfect. The combination of moving the ring from the outer position to the inner and removing the 2mm BB spacer got the chain really close to straight, but is not what I wanted to have to do.

I thought the cranks seemed to not be on the tapers very far, too. I'm used to the spindle coming up pretty close to flush with the inner face of the crank. There was a lot more space with this combination than I am used to.

I have measured the position of the cog in the dropouts and gotten a 44mm chainline, just like Formula says you should. Tomorrow I'll find my caliper and measure the shell, the spindle length, and the chainlines I can get with the new cranks and BB.

Last edited by MacG; 03-04-06 at 01:17 AM.