View Single Post
Old 05-15-03, 10:11 AM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by chewa
Insert sound of bagpipes please.

The bicycle in it's present form, as we all know, was invented by a Scot, Kirkpatrick McMillan, in about 1840

A Scot also invented the pneumatic tyre

"Present form" is a bit of a stretch, since MacMillan's machine bore little resemblence to current bicycles. But, he does get credit (from me at least) for inventing the bicycle, as he was the first to add a reciprocating drive mechanism to Baron Von Drais's hobby horse. The drive was a pair of treadles attached to the rear wheel by iron rods.

John Boyd Dunlop, the veterinarian who invented the pneumatic tire, was unquestionably a Scot. I think he was inspired by either the bagpipes or the haggis. I understand that he was entitled to wear the MacIntyre tartan. My Scottish relatives told me that "the Dunlops have been MacIntyres for over 100 years." That really only makes sense when said with a brogue, and even then it's a groaner.