View Single Post
Old 05-15-03, 12:05 PM
manny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Technically, there is one American in the Giro, Guido Trenti. However he's really an Italian who carries a US cycling license - I believe his mother is a US citizen.

2) USPS isn't there - they haven't run the Giro in a number of years. They normally use the Dauphine Libere in June as their warmup to the TDF.

3a) The Giro isn't a Classic - it's a Grand Tour. It's hard to do both two Grand Tours back to back as they are really draining. Even the sprinters who will be in the TDF also (such as McEwen) will probably drop out of the Giro after stage 10 so that they don't wear themselves out.

3b) Lance does race some Classics. This year he's raced Amstel Gold and Liege-Bastone-Liege and he's done others in the past. He uses them as training runs for the TDF - although he wants to win them - he won't jeopardize his TDF hopes by going full out.

4) As how would Lance fare if he was in the Giro, he'd probably do fine.

5) A camera adds weight so I doubt any cyclist would want to be disadvantaged by wearing one.

6) When Cipo was stuck in the back, everyone knew that he needed to play catch up and he would have his team work to make contact with the peloton. From a selfish standpoint, why should you work hard when you know Cipo's team will do all the work and you can just tagalog and not waste energy. Depending on what team you're on, you're also preventing Cipo from beating one of your team members who could win the stage. That being said, by not helping Cipo out, you could be hurting your GC contender's chances later on in the Giro because Cipo's team won't help you out.

7) I don't know much about unwritten rules other than keep your line, go to the back of the peloton if you're taking an on-the go bathroom break, and make sure if you toss a water bottle , toss if wide so that you don't take out anybody behind you.

I've seen riders share their food and water - I don't know if there is a certain protocol or not.

8) OLN has no control over the coverage of any of the Grand Tours. For the Giro, OLN is getting a direct feed from RAI, the italian television network. I personnally think the French and Spanish coverage for the TDF and Vuelta are better at showing all of the different gaps and who's in which group.

9) OLN has only budgeted an hour for cycling coverage so there's no time for them to give all of the day's stats. It would be nice if they expanded coverage for an extra half hour after the race ends to give that commentary.