DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by bandaidman

componants must be decent. i have read you can shift multi-gears with the xtr and that appeals to me but the price does not...any other groups offer that?
All RapidFire shifters which exist throughout most of Shimano's MTB product line will allow you to shift multiple gears (three for most of them) in the rear (not the front however) with a single throw. However, the caveat is that you can only do it one direction. If you are using a standard derailleur, you can downshift (go to a larger cog) three at a time using the thumb paddle but you can only upshift (go to a smaller cog) one at a time using the trigger. The reverse is true if you're using a Rapid-Rise rear derailleur. I have 2000 Shimano XTR on my MTB and my wife has 2000 Shimano LX on hers and they both perform the same with regards to shifting capability. From what I've heard, the same still holds true for the new 2003 Shimano XTR brifter levers.