View Single Post
Old 03-12-06, 01:25 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
I asked two of the LBS that I've had very pleasurable relationships with in my immediate area about this but they gave me two different answers.

I want to replace my tires, currently 26X1.95 mtb, to slicker, thinner ones for more efficiency. My bike is about 85 lbs(35 lbs actual bicycle, 30 lbs batteries-goes on my rear rack, 20 lbs or so for the front hub motor). I am about less than 120 lbs so you can say that I'am comparable to a 180 lbs rider because of the extra weight.

One bike shop said that I should stay with 1.75 or higher, and another said I should be fine, that the weight shouldnt be an issue with generic mtb tires(1.25 all the way to 2.00++) so long as I don't use the thinner road tires.

So which is it? Can I use thinner tires, or should I stick with wider ones?

Thanks.
Had a friend that weighed around 180lbs on an MTB and for years ghe used 1.95's. then he changed to 1.8's and he got more control over the bike offroad. Presume you are talking road use though and he used to fit 1.5 slicks with no problems.

Spike Milligan