Old 03-12-06, 05:30 AM
Tomaso

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream P8 + Dahon Impulse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garfangle
I recently had my previous bike stolen (Giant Cypress '02) and I was looking into getting a folding bike. I have about at most $500 to spend on the bike and would like to know what are your opinions on which bike do you consider the best for use as a light urban/sidewalk riding vehicle? Also, I will be using the bike to transport groceries and stuff not exceeding 30lbs.

My measurements: a guy that is 5'6"; 140 lb; 27" inseam.

My choices from research to date (MSRP):

Giant Halfway: $500
Downtube 2006 VIII FS: $299
Dahon Piccolo D3:$399
Dahon Speed D7: $329
Dahon Sweet Pea: $249 (!!)
Dahon Vitesee D5: $499
Dahon Mariner D7: $359

Ciao.

Hi Garfangle,
From your list thiis would be my top 7:

1. Dahon Speed D7
2. Giant Halfway
3. Dahon Vitesse D5
4. Downtube
5. Dahon Mariner D7
6&7 (Sweat Pea & Piccolo) are resp. a kid's bike and a bike to carry on boats, RV's,....

I am a little biased though, as I own two Dahons (Impulse D7 & JetstreamP8), but I am really happy with both bikes. DT is great value for money, but not really a bike I'd consider to buy.
The Giant Halfway is a good alternative, for more info on the Halfway check out Rafael Guerra's posts.
I am sure others will have a different Top3, DT is all over this forum, so you'll find lots of people saying DT might be the one for you.
The only way to convince yourself is to actually ride these bikes, only then you know you have made the right choice. That's a problem for the DT as you will have to order it through the net, you cannot try it first. And personally I will never buy a bike without having ridden it first. 300 bucks might not be a lot of money for a folder, but will it be the one you're looking for?

Good luck!
Tom

Also check out the Dahon Speed P8, cool bike!