Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spambait11
Sorry for butting in, but I just had to say "Damn, Wav."

You're just missing a Birdy, Moulton, Raleigh 20, and a Strida. With those, you'd be THE complete folding bike encyclopedia.
Funny you should mention some of the others. I am looking at trying to get a "new" Birdy but so far all I've been able to come up with is the old version in the US and shipping is steep from Europe. I have ridden an old bird cage Moulton and it wasn't my type though I appreciate many of its design elements. As for the Raleigh I rode one and like it more than I thought I would. I spent some time on V1nce's when I was in Rotterdam for a while. I was just in DC and a guy offered to sell me his for cheap and I almost bought it. Unfortunately 2 things kept me from snapping it up right then, no way to take it home (and I was leaving that night) and I really don't need another project bike but I most likely WILL pick one up in the future. Then I'd slap on some good tires and a 8spd Nexus int. hub., Brooks springer saddle and a few other bits I have laying around.

As for the Strida I really thought long and hard about one but I really don't need a single speed anything bike. It would be almost worthless to me and in reality my Xootr scooter would be better for me than a Strida and darn near as fast. I also feel that by the time you option up the Strida to where it is truly usable it becomes quite spendy and with the new price increases going into effect it becomes an even worse value probably surpassing the Brompton for what I would consider the worst value. That may seem like a contradiction in some ways since I own several of them but a Brompton is pretty much a one-trick-pony but if you need that one trick they are pretty useful. So now my current project bike with begin with the Ti Brompton and I don't know exactly where it will end but I do have ideas.

Next project after that will be another DT. I plan to start with a int. hub new model DT and then add disc brakes and some other goodies to it. It might turn into a BikeForums version of "Pimp My Ride" or "Overhaulin' " when I get done.