Old 03-12-06, 10:12 AM
Tomaso

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream P8 + Dahon Impulse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIKEFORUMFAN
Inspired by Edd's recent experience in folders, I ordered a new 20" folding bike from www.cellbikes.com.au as an 'early birthday present' for my wife, just last week. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product....3041303e02146d

The total cost was $398, which is possibly the most affordable 20" folder on Australian retail market at this point in time, and is about 33% cheaper than a Dahon Boardwalk. The delivery time from Sydney to Perth was 3 days on the road, and freighted to my door.

From box opening, it only took 3 minutes to take the bike out, remove the cardboard protector strips from the frame rails, unfold the bike into the riding position and ride away! I'm 6'2" tall and 90kg, and this bike is an abosolute joy to ride. Handling is good, being both nimble and yet very stable.

The build quality is really good and surpasses the photos shown on the supplier's website. The wheel spokes are stainless steel too. The frame hinge is well made from billet alloy and the tig welded joints are a nice visual feature of the bike. The OEM Kenda tyres ride well over pavement joints.

Whilst the 20" folder from Cell Bikes is branded as a "Progear", it's most likely of an unknown Chinese manufacture, which means it would possibly be found in other countries under a different brand.

Already, I've had other bike riders stop and ask me about this bike, and although I've ridden it more than my wife, she's sincerely thanked me for buying it for her. Non-folding bikes wouldn't have much such an impression!

When folded, the Cell folding bike dimensions are:

Length: 88cm
Width: 35cm
Height: 65cm

Pros: Great handling, good build quality, lightness, value for money, good looks.

Cons: No carry bag supplied, non-adjustable steering tube, noisy front brake pads.

Looks like a great folder, indeed (and for that kind of money!) The only real con is probably the non-adjustable steering tube. Brake pads are easy to replace and I am sure the bike fits into a Dahon-doubleplay bag.
Looks like a bargain to me !