View Single Post
Old 05-16-03, 07:51 PM
RickO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Kansas.

Hello. Figured I'd drop a quick note and introduce myself.

I currently reside in Lawrence, KS. Moved here from Ohio in '77. I of course had bicycles growing up but didn't really get into it until 1986 when I was 24. In High school we had family issues that were hard on me and I unfortunately used food as a crutch. Six years after graduating I finally got my head cleared and started running and biking. Lost 50 lbs and took to bicycling with a passion.

In 1988 I purchased a custom frame from a builder in Ames Iowa named Jeffrey Bock. That is still the bike I ride but I currently have a Cannondale CAAD 7 frameset on order. I figure that after 15 years it's time for me to get something a bit more current technology wise.

Last year I didn't bike much as I was training to run a marathon (never done that and have always wanted to). I have done single day 100 mile bike rides in tha past and wanted the marathon as another trophy. Unfortunately I ended up with Patellar tendonitis in my right knee. That started last July and it's still a problem for me. This season I'll be spending on the bike as I'm not willing to risk running on it and getting it bad enough to effect my biking.

Because of my knee I basically took the entire fall/winter off from exercise so I'm really starting from a hole but my goal for the year is to get enough miles under me to ride the Octoginta. The Octoginta is an 80 mile ride here in NW Kansas that they have every year. I've done quite a few of them over the years with the last being 2 years ago.

Anyway, I've rambled enough.

Again, hello to everyone!

Rick