O_O

Bikes: 2004 Norco Screamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sngltrackdufus
Twisting it with vise grips... & against the stop even
With that, i wouldn't think a steel knob would be good enough..

Ok, I'll just write this down just in case somebody runs into a similar problem. I went down to my LBS and they gave me an old dial off one of their old shocks, apparently they're pretty abundant. So I came back and tried to use vice grips to unscrew the dial broken out of its slot. I ended up breaking all the ridges around the outside where I would normally unscrew the dial. So I did something I would not advise anyone to do and chiselled it out with a hammer and screw driver. I ended up damaging some of the internal grooves needed for the new dial to screw into. So I'm now just trying to reshape the grooves and hoping that the dial will just screw back in without stripping itself. To avoid most of this try to use a better tool to unscrew the dial, if it's stuck add some oil and try again. If it still wont unscrew take it down to your lbs and they might have better luck.

So that's basically what ended up happening, I didn’t damage the grooves too much so i think the dial will be able to go back in. I want to thank you guys who told me about the dial or anybody who gave advice. It gave me the opportunity to checkout this lbs around the corner and they turned out to be everything I ever dreamt a bike shop to be. Anyway thanks and spring is coming soon so that means new parts and good riding for everybody, good luck and stay safe.
-Alex