Old 03-13-06, 02:49 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daavq
I was reading a post on the Hennesy and someone made the complaint about not having somewhere to store gear against theft which got me thinking about it. Where do you store your gear to prevent theft? Any suggestions to foil would be troublemakers?
Getting back to the original post.

I Hennessy all the time. If you are stealth camping the only thieving will be from the fawna and they only want your food. If I am camping in a campground I will lock up my bike to a tree and I leave the panniers on the bike. The panniers have locks to keep them on the racks. Anything of value (passport, cards, money and digital camera) come with me in the hammock in one small package.

I have invested in a couple of Dollar Store personal alarms that are actually meant to put on door frames. They come with a base unit including an 80db alarm and a separate magnet. I leave one sitting on top of the pannier. Any movement and the alarm is triggered.

I only once had it go off. I was on a rail trail in Wales and there was no way I could drag my bike up into my site, so I left it on the side of the trail. Sure enough in the middle of the night the alarm went off. I had no idea what to do so I started barking like a dog. Soon I heard footsteps running up the trail. I went to have a look and nothing was missing. They could have had my dirty clothes anyway. Just leave the bike.

Last edited by stokell; 03-13-06 at 03:00 PM.