Thread: chainwheel
View Single Post
Old 03-16-06, 04:46 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
hey what's up your post is rather uninformative.

The first thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you're wanting to use non-round (e.g., Shimano Biopace) chainrings on a singlespeed of fixed-gear bike. If that's the case, yes you can. But you can't adjust the chainring itself - the adjustment comes at the rear wheel.

My second guess is that your bottom bracket axle (on which the crankset turns; the chainrings are connected to the crankset) is not turning well, either because it is poorly adjusted or because the sealed bearings are shot. If it's the former, then yes you (or your bike shop, because if this is indeed your problem then you know very little about how to describe it) can properly adjust the BB for you. If you've got a modern sealed-cartridge bottom bracket, whose bearings are ruined to the point that you feel noticeable resistance while pedaling, then you need to replace it (or have your bike shop replace it).

If one of these sounds like your issue, and you want to work on it yourself, fill us in so we can give you a more detailed answer.