Old 03-16-06, 10:50 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tonylucini
ok thanks guys
one more question i got when looking at those different types of bikes mentioned online is what size do i want. most of them have sizes from 13" to like 24". is tthe size purely a comfort thing? or is it more than that?
thanks
More than that. I'm no expert but, This is where you need an experienced MTB mechanic/sales person to explain it all. But, I know that your seat position, not just up and down, but forward and back, along with stem length and lift and finally, frame size all play a role in how aggressive you can position yourself on the bike. All these factors are important on the trail. Eg., I'm an older rider, so my LBS outfitted me with a smaller frame, with a short high angle stem so that I don't have to lean over the bars as much. If I were younger, I would be upset with that setup! So you need to have your bike set up by a pro. One comment, be sure the frame size is correct, not just the only one the LBS has. A good bike shop will try different frame sizes regardless of the model, then decide what model you want and order it if they don't have it in your size. By all means, demo the bikes as much as possible. I took rides on dirt at the LBS's parking lot and took a couple of 6 inch obsticles to see if I liked the bike.