huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do.

My wife is in the corporate world, she has enough problems for not being able to golf. She has enough wit to compensate for that handicap, and the new cycling ritual-fad would actually be advantageous for her. She would be one of the few - maybe only - females on her 40's to be able to do that in that company. To her carreer, cycling and networking would be the greatest hit. So you know where I stand now, cycling and networking will work for my household.

Positive and negative implications are present. For one, people with disabilities will be excluded for this "new golf". Needless to speak of people that are morbidly obese, the more elderly business people, and finally women.
Women had already a devil of a time getting in the golf course so to network with the right people, and now a new glass ceiling has been built; you better be able to hang with the boys on the road or stay home.

This are the possible implications. Some business people had not enough exclusivity by golfing, sailing, or any other elitist activity. Now any given individual that wants to make it in some corporate areas must also be an athlete.

I guess that the powerfull will find more ways to make their little world more and more exclusive. Hopefully for you Wall Street wannabees you have the right proportions, full use of your limbs, and no congenital coordination problems.

Yep ... I went there. This is a cycling forum and we all here are able to cycle and that is fine, but I would hate to see "athleticism" as a new subtle barrier for networking.