SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
I built my bike from scratch, and will build any other bike I own from scratch also.
As for cost...
If you buy the parts retail and put it all together, it will cost more. Bicycle manufacturers order these OEM so their cost per unit is cheaper.
But if you buy from ebay, look for sales, overall take your time and do your shopping, it is cheaper to build from scratch. I spent a lot of time on ebay, and I believe I would have payed much more for a bike at my LBS of similar quality.

Frames can be purchased through many of these online bicycle stores, ebay has tons of good frames also. I originally bought a frame from a store called LeaderBikeUSA for 99 dollars, excellent frame and price. But then i bought a homegrown later.

I think that most of the tools you need are "handy man" type tools. Things like a set of metric allen wrenches, set of sockets, a torque wrench (debatable), screw drivers, etc.

The only specialize bike tool I bought was an installer from FSA for my bottom bracket. And the tool to remove a cassette lockring.

You will learn a lot about the mechanics of your machine after you have held and assembled every part, it is well worth the effort.
Agreed. I bought a frame off ebay (2000 LeMond Zurich) and started collecting components while the bike was off to the painter for 3 months. I happened to fall into a particularly good deal on a carbon fiber LOOK bike (which I'm still working on the fit-I think I finally have it dialed in) and I ended up putting most of the components I bought for the LeMond on it. I picked out high end Campagnolo Chorus/Record components with an emphasis on lightweight carbon fiber parts. I think they work better (visually) on the LOOK though and the 9spd Campy Chorus stuff that was on the LOOK works better on the steel frame LeMond.

I haven't ridden the LeMond yet, but I think it will suit me fine so long as I can find a zero setback alloy seatpost for it. The LeMond will be an old school bike with a touch of modern. Alloy quill stem, all alloy components but with modern 9spd brifters. No carbon bits at all though.

I've learned a ton about bike mechanics by doing this stuff myself. The only thing I won't tackle is the headset and bottom bracket. I don't have the tools for the headset and I don't want to screw up the bottom bracket.

As far as tools go, get a decent stand and a set of metric allen wrenches. A chain whip, a BB/cassette tool and chain tool are necessities as well. I would also recommend a good set of screwdrivers and some metric open end wrenches (preferably thin ones-some pedals require this).

Last edited by SDRider; 03-18-06 at 06:31 PM.