Old 03-19-06, 01:14 AM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clinchers sucks big time... I dont have problems with tubulars so far today, but clichers always give me problems...

HI.. I did the same than u fixing a tubular when i was like 13 y/o hehe it sucks hehehehehe...

Look sometimes when u hit a hole in the road or maybe a chip of glass or a rock hard enough that the tubular simply give up at the opposite side, I mean... the thread holds the hit just fine, the upper part of the innner tube does it fine too but the internal part simply gives up because the object smashed over the rim and thats cause a super small pucture. U just said that U found a glass chip there, maybe other glass chip did it too but in that case it just went deeper enough to get the inner tube and "pinch" at the opposite side just where the stitches are. U can fix that tubular btw, try it and save it...

Continental tubulars arent what it was before but the problem it wasnt with the tubular itself, It was only your bad luck... thats all, get a flat in a 300 grams tubular is quite rare, usually u get flat on those because the thread is old, or because u put too much air to them and maybe u dont know how to take care of them...

Please do not put 160 PSI or whatever is the max inflation to those tubulars, the reason is that they get so hard that anything that hit that tubular can make it blow as a balloon or get flats by zillions, I learned this the hard way so please listen to me.

The next thing is this one... if u get at home at night or if u r not going to use the bike anymore that day, please take the air out of the tubulars, try to take as much as 50% of the air OK? If u r going to ride the next day, put air to them again (thats why I have a good air pump at home). The reason for this is that tubulars expand, u can leave them with air for years but obviously not 100 psi, 10 psi or 20 psi it is ok, but if u leave them completely inflated the tubular will expand (1 or 2 days its ok but long periods of time will f*** the tubular, even if its brand new, so rule?? take the air out every day), Even the threaded part it will expand and will get thinner so u'll be more exposed to punctures. I learned this the hard way too, I left a 140 grams Alvarez pista tubular with 100 psi for 4 months ( i forgot that I put them in a closet) when i found them they where like a Cyclocross tubular... Waste of money. About inflation... put between 80 and 100 psi or if u wat between 6 - 7 atm. That is more than enough so far for the streets... and always carry an spare under the seat. U can use the one it blown up that I hope u'll try to fix, ans use it as a spare.

cya