View Single Post
Old 03-20-06, 04:29 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
Congratulations... that's a very solid ride! And yeah, lots of food and water along the way are key. I've done a third-of-a-century and a half-century in the past couple of weeks. The 33-miler felt okay, but I did it on just two water bottles and nothing else, and I was feeling a little worn by the end. (It was also very hilly and bitterly cold and windy, which I'm sure didn't help.) I took plenty of food with me on the 50-miler, and did a complete water bottle refill partway through, for a total of four bottles for the ride. I felt quite perky at the end of it... better than at the end of 33 miles. Next goal is a metric century and then, after that, the full monty. Finding the right on-the-bike menu is a matter of trial and error, but I'm learning that finding it is also critical.

One interesting note: While doing some rides down in Texas recently, for the heck of it I decided to try energy gels. Don't know how many here have tried them. They definitely are not for the gourmand. Gooey citrus-flavored glop that you suck out of a plastic/foil package. But I will say that they provided a pretty remarkable-feeling nutritional boost. For a race, or for some other kind of ride where you really wanted to keep moving, they'd probably be great. For a civilized metric century, though, a stop or two for real food seems a much better way to go.

Sorry about putting in yet another lecture- but I train for the longer rides- and I do them mainly offroad- which takes a bit more effort than road rides- I am not a super fit rider- But what I have is endurance-from the distance I do, and the right mental capability to do the long rides. DG is right- A lot of biking is mental. You need fitness aswell, and training, and the correct nutrition, and all of these things come into being an accomplished rider.

Training--- Milage helps but overall fitness comes in aswell. When the butt stops hurting after a 3 hour ride you have the fitness and training to do a 65miler. Once you have done a 65 miler a 100miler is not much longer so is not a problem- only thing is pace- A 65 miler in 4 hours will equate to a 100miler in 7 or more. The extra miles get slower and if you have any sense- so do the first 65.
Drinking on the ride- I force myself to drink 1 litre an hour and I mean force myself. That way I have no fear of dehydration. Eating- You need carbohydrates to give you energy and I carbo load for at least a week before the ride- every meal being Rice- Pasta- Bread- Porridge- Sticky buns and I also do not cut down on the fat. On the ride I take a good selection of Carb loaded foods- cereal bars- dried fruit, cake- biscuits- sandwiches and a bit of protein in the form of cheese- I also have my favourite chocolate bars and creamed rice as a change. Plenty of variety and I snack all the way through the ride.

THE GELS WORK-But about 20 minutes or so after you have taken them and they do not last long- I only keep them as an emergency aid, but they do work- On our long ride We have one at around the 10 hour mark just before the final two long hills, but also take some more carbs just as they start to come in. We still have another in reserve for around the 11 hour mark but hopefully we will not use them.

Distance riding is not hard- just good preparation, Getting physically fit- Getting the right nutrition, Drinking enough but just as important is that mental bit. You have to get that right, but if you can do a 50 miler- then 65 is a doddle- a 100miler may take it out of you, and if you want a bit of masochism- 100 miles offroad will give it to you. Even if you are only starting and doing your first 25 miler- If you have fallen down on any of these key elements of preparation- then you are going to struggle.

Spike Milligan