Old 09-06-00, 11:48 PM
Mr.Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a rehabilitation hospital that has an Acquired Brain Injury program. Nothing drives home the point faster about wearing a helmet then a visit to this ward. The cost related to care for these people is expensive. The disability is generally permanent. The devastation to the families is real.

Our province; Ontario, Canada; has mandatory bicycle helmet laws for children up to 18 years of age and for the most part the children wear their helmets here. There are still some adults that ride without helmets and that is their choice. The driving force to equip children with helmets started with emergency room physicians who were concerned about preventable cycling head injuries in young children and together with corporate donations children who cannot afford a helmet can obtain one at little or no cost through this program.

My two children use a helmet when riding a bike or using roller blades. It has become a natural part of riding a bike for them and I never have to tell them to put it on. I also wear one when I ride. Why take the chance**********?