View Single Post
Old 03-23-06, 01:50 PM
vintageroady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello From S Central Wisconsin!!

Hello all, Glad to be back into to roadie scene. Finally after many years I have gotten the itch to get back into biking. In my younger years I used to ride centuries and some crit. racing in central California with a local bike club. This winter I visited a bike store and ended up buying a Trek 7.6 FX to get back into shape. Since then, I have gotten all my old 70's vintage stuff all re-lubed and cleaned up in my new basement bike shop. I have owned all of the below since new. A very early 70's Schwinn Collegate (in green of course) original grease was in bad shape but now revitalized and very road worthy again. Not that I will ride it though. Also a mid 70's Schwinn LeTour that has been done up to look like a Paramont/repainted in orange and relabeled. Lots of upgraded componentry since when I was a kid I worked in a Schwinn bike shop. It is in pretty good shape even though It has of 7k on the clock. Then my baby that I bought when I lived in California.....my 1973 Maserati MT-4 with full campy Nuovo Record group/High Flange hubs/Rigida rims with some TTT (stem, bars, seatpost, seat) thrown in for good measure. Amazing how good the original grease still was even though I repacked everything and replaced the regina oro chain with an original since it was pretty stretched. Been riding the vintage stuff on my Kurt Kinetic trying to get the legs into summertime shape and cant wait till the weather gets a bit nicer so I can hit the road. Dont think I will put the vintage Maserati on the street again so I picked up a used 97 Trek 5500 with full dura-ace components for road duty. I can not wait to compare the vintage frame to a carbon frame on the road since I have never ridden carbon before. May prove to be an adventureous summer of riding/wrenching. Hope to see some of you on the road sometime. Glad I found this wonderful site!!!