Old 05-21-03, 10:30 PM
RollingGeek
Donating member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So lets review. You originally posted this question:
So, what reasons can you people point at for not buying this bike?
You got tons of reasons from people in the forums, most of which you dismissed on the flimsy excuse that since most of the people hadn't actually purchased WalMart bikes in the past, they weren't able to make judgement on them. Its spurious reasoning at best, I KNOW a Yugo is crap, and I have never even been in one. I base that on appearance of the vehicle, reading reviews about them, and hearing TONS of people who do have more experience with the vehicle TRASH it. I also know that the vehicle was built and marketed to be cheap and affordable, not built to be high performance and high quality.

Now finally, someone agrees with you and makes the same descision as you, so they get kudos and you say that it was the best post. I find that insulting - lots of people put a lot of time into trying to explain just why those bikes are so cheap.

It is also stunningly ironic to me that buying something at Walmart, the quintessential mass marketer, is considered being 'gutsy' and counter-stereotypical.

I also have problems with that 'best post' tag - this line:
It's great for beginners to explore their interest
Its not great if the bike does not fit, frequently has maintenance problems, and is heavy, slow, and does not shift well. Beginners will get turned off and the bike will be left in a shed to rust. Ok - they saved money because they are not throwing a more expensive bike into the shed to rust, but maybe if the experience was more pleasurable they would have ridden more.

This was also classic:
You also might be interesting in knowing, that in other countries, people have less chances and money to ride something even CLOSE to what you bought.
Um, duh. But whats cool about this country is that you do not HAVE to settle for crap, that you can buy better quality items, rather than settle for what your party official has decided you can buy. Whats your point ? They have no choice - YOU DO !!!!

Basically, your axe to grind is that it is perfectly logical to buy a Walmart bike, and if someone should deny that, they are
simply following mass thinking stereotypes. I believe that (your dismissive response) is not being respectful of the years of experience that people on this board bring to the table, versus your stubborn belief that Walmart sells quality not quantity.

The oldest axioms often ring the truest:

You get what you pay for !

If Walmart thought people were buying bikes there on any other basis than simply because its the cheapest, the prices would be higher.