View Single Post
Old 03-23-06, 03:46 PM
EGreen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
What's needed for a touring bike depends on what you plan to do. Virtually any bike can be used fo rtouring so long as it has the necessary gearing for the hills and load you expect. If the rear triangle is too short for panniers, you can hook up a trailer.

The main requirement for a touring bike is that it be comfortable enough to ride for many hours day after day. Beyond that, it's a matter of configuring it to haul what you want to haul.
That's what always impressed me about this bike, the comfort of the ride. I spent some alot of time on it as I built around the frame until I bought super light Ti and replaced it.

Though I have to retrieve it from deep storage in my friends basement, I can say with certainty that there is plenty of space between the wheel and the seat tube and serious rake in the fork, again, it's a long bike though I don't know the exact measurement of the chainstay, I'd bet it was at least 17.5''.

I've no great feelings of nostalgia for the bike but a sense that it does have potential usefullness as a tourer.

I've the idea of going from my home in Brooklyn, (Downstate NY) to Toronto Canada in the early fall. In the meantime I gather all the info I can.

Thanks for your comments so far.