View Single Post
Old 03-24-06, 01:13 AM
Dio Rallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I survived Devil's Slide once, had no idea what I was getting into. The top has a pretty view, and I mean, it's probably the most beautiful view because near death experiences just do that for you.

But totally do it, s'not much to worry about, besides, 's cars problem. Just stick as far to right as possible and zoooone out. You'll be suprised at how well you will survive. It's not really that long of a stretch anyways.

I have ridden in the Central Valley. The Central Valley Owns. Sure, you sleep under bridges and take showers at wherever you can find them, but the people are friendly, the farm roads are empty and filled with beautiful articles of unappreciated history (churches, shrines, etc), and the fruit, oh god the fruit. Wild watermelons on the side of the road, figs (of course), wild oranges, peaches, aaaaah, the memories. There's so much fruit, you have to remember to get protein. Thankfully, there's a lot of nuts too. And you never have to raid a farm either.

However, I would say the central valley should be done by experienced tourists. It is also the only place I would say that those take along showers would be a good idea. It's farmland, but it's rich in culture and people. There are a fair share of campgrounds, but you'll have to plan the trip out to find them.

If you want a abnormal and more challenging trip, don't stay on the coast. If you break out and take the costal mountain roads back and forth from the coast to the central valley, you'll see some amazing things and get some real adventure in. Sometimes I feel like the Coast is so ridden that there is a real lack of adventure. In particular, I recommend Crow Road from Eugene to Reedsport (?) and Eureka to Red Bluff (Highway 36, in particular). These were by far the prettiest roads. It's a little bit more pedaling, So maybe not this time, because some of these routes I've seen people fail on. So maybe when you feel like you could ride anything, take these on.

Oh man, I've gone and composed a rant. Well, mad props to you son for inspiring a (slightly) old(er young) man.