Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by v1nce
@ Spambait

I am all for english reliability...
I didn't know there was such a thing!

I grew up on a lot of British products such as their cars. I had a few Loti (Lotuses?), TVR's, Triumphs, MG's and Jaguars. I had their motorcycles; Norton, BSA and Triumph. While I loved them dearly the world reliable and English ususally did not belong together in a sentence with positive relationship to each other. Lucas (the electrics manufacturer) was known as the "Prince of Darkness". A common joke was "Why do the Brits like warm beer? Because the have Lucas refrigerator of course!" My Jaguar had the dreaded "Jaguar diesease". By that it meant it overheated every day it even looked to be sunny. I guess the extral thermal energy overloaded the rather meager cooling system that obviously was designed for the UK temps. Heaven forbid someone might buy a Jag outside of the area and dare to drive it on a sunny day with the top down.

So based on my past experience with British transportation I was really quite reluctant to even buy a Brommie. Since my background was aviation I have to admit that one of the main reasons I bought one is that I had/have great respect for the aircraft they built during WWII, Hawker Hurricane, Spitfire and the Mosquito and the incredible Merlin engine. So I knew the had some good engineers but reliability was still possibly an issue. Fortunately nothing has fallen off so far or otherwise crumbled in my hands. As usual there were a few funky UK specific design elements that I have mentioned before.

Anyway I know that B could make these improvements quite easily and at minimal cost. I would like to see the company survive but they have made such minimal changes that I think they should do more than a few minor incremental improvements. I don't want to see 30 new models a year but in some way I think ala carte is a terrible idea. I appreciate the thought but it does have some downfalls too.