cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by -RS-
Thank you for the replies guys. I appreciate the information.

What exactly is a cyclocross bike? ...

I am early twenty years old, weigh 90kg, 188cm height, and I am a athlete. Does my size dictate a certain bike?
Cyclocross is a bike racing sport that has been around longer than mountain bikes. The bike looks like a road racing bike with the "dropped" handlebars that curve under. The tires are larger and skinnier than a mountain bike's, but fatter than a road bike's. The race involves racing on road, some dirt, and some clambering on foot carrying the bike. People who want a road bike that can handle bad roads and some off-road conditions might get a cyclocross bike, but if you plan to do some really tricky and rough off-road riding, you may prefer a mountain bike. They have slightly smaller diameter wheels but fatter tires, and a flat handlebar. Usually they have front suspension and maybe rear as well. They can ride over any terrain and are more maneuverable than a road or cyclocross bike in winding single track courses.

The reason I asked about age and weight is that some of the "Newbies" asking for advice are quite overweight older and out of shape, and might start with a more upright, cushy "comfort" bike. Obviously that isn't for you.