Old 03-26-06, 08:36 PM
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A cyclocross bike is based on road bike geometry, but with a slightly stronger frame and wheels for riding on light trails. Cyclocross is a pretty popular (and very grueling) race event. You can probably use google to find out more pretty quickly. There is also a class of bikes known as hybrids that are supposed to be a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of them, and their popularity seems to be limited.

From what you describe, I suspect a cyclocross bike may work for you, but personally (and I am biased because I am a mountain bike rider) I would tend to encourage a good hardtail (front suspension only) or rigid (no suspension) mountain bike. Perhaps if there are any bike shops in your area the staff can give you some suggestions on what would be best for you. The main disadvantage of a mountain bike will be less efficient riding due to the larger tires and less agressive riding position. You can easily, however, switch the mountain bike tires out for a set of semi-slicks that will improve your efficiency.

It's hard to pick a bike size simply based on your height. Wrench Science has an online tool that can help people figure out what the best size for them is, but the best way is to actually test ride bikes and figure out which one feels best. That is, you don't have to stretch to far to reach the handlebars or they don't feel too close to you, and you have clearance between the top tube and your crotch when standing over the bike. Generally for someone of your height a Large or maybe an X-Large frame size (18-20 inch or 46 to 52 cm) ends up being the best fit. A bike that isn't the right size will be less comfortable to ride.

Oh, and one thing not to overlook when you figure out what bike to get: get a decent lock. You don't want to spend $2-3000 on a bike only to have someone steal it.