View Single Post
Old 05-23-03, 10:09 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shop where I used to work was considered a Tri focused shop. We dealt with a lot of Tri customers. My philosophy is that if you're not going to be racing full time, then a Tri-Specific bike doesn't make sense. Again, my opinion for a recreational rider or a "couple time a year" racer is to get a road bike and slap some aero bars on it.

Here are my reasongs right or wrong:

1. The geometry of a Tri-Specific bike puts the rider in a more forward aero position. This is great for Race Day, but for long training rides, it can become very uncomfortable. The seat tube angle is steeper and road shock and vibrations are tranmitted directly to the rider. A standard road bike with a more relaxed seat tube will "feel" smoother as some of the vibrations are deflected.

2. 650 v 700 wheel debate. The logic of using a 650 wheel is lost on me. Quicker acceleration? Most tri's are usually long out and backs with only one or two turns. How often do you accerate? If this logic held water, then all criterium racers should race on 650's as they do a lot more accelerating. The only legitimate reason I see for 650 wheels is for very small frames where it's necessary to keep frame geometries consistant.

3. In order for any aerodynamic benefit from the tubes and 650 wheels, you must maintain an average speed over 18 m.p.h. (can't remember source of this, but I can find it if you need me to). That's pretty fast for a recreational rider.

4. Resale Value, there is less of a market for a Tri bike than a standard Road bike. I tend to buy and sell my bikes on a regular basis, so this is always a concern of mine.

5. Cost. Tri-specific bikes usually average 10-15% more. Aero tubing, aero bars,...etc. all cost more!

That's it for now!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger