View Single Post
Old 03-27-06, 08:35 PM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think a lot of these issues should be thought about when buying your first bike. Often since it is your first one the odds of you keeping it are pretty slim unless you really luck out or do a lot of homework. It is the reason I have drifted away from Dahons for my own personal use. My LBS that handles folders, Calhoun Cycles, has several Brommies and several Swifts in stock but only 1 Dahon. Without potentially getting anyone in trouble there my impression is there isn't that much interest in the Dahons compared to the other 2 companies. I think they even have more Airnimals in stock than Dahons and that is a very niche market. Now maybe the Midwest isn't the key market for selling Dahons but I can honestly say that in riding my folder around the Minneapolis-St. Paul area I have never ever seen another Dahon on the trails. I am sure they exist but I've never seen them. Folders here are really a "curioddity" if you know what I mean.

As for the Dahon forum I am still there and I posted more in the past than recently. I did raise my concerns in the past. I've been vocal in asking when they will have a better competitor to the Brompton. Anyway they are not bad for an entry level bike and give a lot of bang for the buck. I just hate their churning of models. Finding something sort of cool and the next year its gone. One model that currently interests me and I think will be more important in the future is the Roo EL. Electric assisted bikes need more development and exposure.