Old 03-27-06, 10:32 PM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spambait11
It has to do with the fact that no one company has satisfied all needs (apparently and understandably).
It has to do with the fact that some are not shy about pointing out each bike's shortcomings.
It has to do with the fact that most noobs don't bother searching this forum for the same info just posted days or hours before.
It has to do with the fact that people have had time on their machines and can now give even more info about the bikes they didn't know before.
It has to do with the fact that it's frivolous to say "all the bikes are good. Can't go wrong with any one of them." How does that help you?
It has to do with the fact that there are dealers participating with very real monetary interests.
It has to do with the fact that fake identities are created to pump up certain brands when many of us can see BS when we read it.
It has to do with the fact that we can all hide behind our monitors and no one can do a damn thing about it.
It has to do with the fact that some people actually know what they're talking about.

At least these are my conjectures; grain of salt adage should always apply. This is, after all, the internet.
Well said!

If it wasn't for this forum I probably wouldn't have bought my Swift. I read for many hours doing research and getting opinions from here and seeing what were common themes before I ever set foot in the LBS. It helped open my eyes to more of what is available out there and why some of the differences might be important for my usage.

I like reading well stated differences of opinions. It helps me better understand what is important to me or not. I hope that my experience can help others with their choices. I enjoy the critical thinking that others employ that goes beyond just saying it is good. I want to know WHY it is good so if I ever find myself in that situation I will already have a better understanding of what might work for me.

Obviously we all come from different backgrounds, countries and bicycle and life experiences. We have varying levels of what we are willing to spend on a folder and why we want/need that particular bike. I have had numerous off-forum discussions with people and it really helps to fill out the details of where a particular person is coming from. The more I meet with and build relationships with these members the more I tend to try and view bikes and products through their eyes.

Just like a Brompton isn't the ideal folder where I live but it can be really useful in NYC or London. You might love a Bike Friday but don't like breaking it down to transport. It is all these different bikes and situations that make this such an interesting hobby/lifestyle. For me it started out as more of a hobby than a necessity and over time it has become a conscious choice of how I live a part of my life. I park farther from work and save on parking. I then ride my bike more or I ride to the bus stop and then take the bus as far as I can and then switch back to the bike. A few years ago this wasn't a viable option for me but I specifically searched for a job opportunity that would allow me this flexibility. It has been these types of forums that have been instrumental in helping me define my folder needs and then source the appropriate steed.

So even though the "What bike should I buy" question comes up repeatedly it is still helpful for us as a group to help the newbies. Without their new blood the sport will stagnate. So even though we have heard the same (almost) question 10, 50, 300 times it is still important to take the time to answer it even if it does sometimes drift off-topic as so many threads do.

Folders are not a real modular type design for the most part. You can just take drive train A and slap it on frame B combined with saddle and post from C. Aside from a Swift or Bike Friday you have to find specific parts so unless you get very close to what you want from the start your options to custom tailor the bike later aren't as broad and often go beyond the scope of what a newbie is willing to dive into. So it is important that we all help or the sport will die out.