Old 03-31-06, 07:16 AM
vascdoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tivo_willieb
Pros
**Highly configurable LARGE display with up to 8 different data fields on two screens for a total of 16 data fields available with no more than 1 press of a button. Nice...
**Love the combined speed/cadence sensor designed to be mounted on the chain stay with the speed sensor on the rear wheel. I had problems with this on the polar.
**At an online price of $300, it's a great price with all sensors already included unlike the polar. (Must purchase cadence sensor seperately for s600 and s700 models)
**Comes with two mounts so I used the other one with my Hybrid and it required no speed sensor since it uses the GPS for speed. The cadence/heart rate really isn't that important to me on the hybrid since it's mainly for family rides.
**Love the backlight. This may be a strange pro but my S625X backlight would only work for a few seconds after you got it close to the heartrate sensor. (It's a running computer first that accepts speed cadence sensors for cycling functions)
**USB interface/charger so I can use my 12volt razr charger in the truck, or charge it connected to my PC inside or from my laptop.

Cons
**Questionable batt life for long century rides. I haven't actually tested it yet but if I ride 100+ miles, I want ALL of that sucker recorded, lol...
**Training Center seems limited compared to the Polar software. Where are the graphed reports? Where are the odometer settings and why can't I configure this device through the PC as you can the polar? Seems to have cluttered unconfigurable graphs. The polar graphs weren't configurable either but their ranges seemed to be spaced out better or something. Also I don't like the fact that you can only see one value of data when using the mouse to move the selector back and forth. Polar has a line you can move with left and right cursors and all data fields change in a chart according to the position of the line.
**Size? I don't consider this a con. Yes it's bigger than most other cycling computers but how many other computers gives you 8 data fields at one time?
**Calories calculation seems innacurate compared to the polar (known con)

All in all it's a great device and I love it. Some of the cons may come from my lack of knowledge so far of this device. After a while I'll repost this review updated with more knowledge of my edge.
How do you get the second set of data screen? I did not find reference to this in the directions.

Regarding battery life, they claim 12 hours. Riding a century ride should not be a problem.