Old 03-31-06, 04:16 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a maintenance schedule that runs over a 4 ride period. I ride off road so the bike needs a wash after almost every ride, and the chain gets cleaned and lubed after every ride in any case- whilst on the ride you get to know if the brake blocks have worn-or possible cable stretch- so brakes get adjusted if required.
1 st ride-- clean bike and check for derailler adjustment- cable stretch- and anything else that needs adjustment- this will be for every ride aswell. Loosen the outer cables and lube the cable with a light water repellant oil (WD40)
2 nd ride- check wheel cones for any play and adjust if required
3rd ride- check crank sprockets for damage/wear, check for bottom bracket wear or tightness and check tyres for damage, stones in tread etc.
4th ride- strip and clean headset, or if no adjustment necessary this is left for 8 rides.
5 th ride---- back to ride one.

Obviously the when cleaning the bike- I am looking for any loose nuts and bolts, and frayed cables, and whilst on the ride you will be noting if any gears changes are not going right or any "Noises" that come in.

Admittedly road rides may not require this frequency- but a check like this will stop any undue breakages or damage from non adjustment.

I am also about to strip and rebuild for the coming season so on this as a yearly check- Cranks are removed and sprockets cleaned.- deraillers really cleaned with degreaser and a toothbrush. Wheels get sent away for trueing and retensioning. and the headset and front suspension forks are stripped and cleaned and checked. Cables are replaced, and brake calipers removed- cleaned greased and refitted. Not much left to take off the bike so out comes the polish and the frame is cleaned thoroughly.

Spike Milligan