Thread: Tire decisions
View Single Post
Old 05-26-03, 12:31 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your not going to lose anything with the Armadillos except flats!! But keep in mind the Armadillos are not racing tires, they are a commuting, light touring and perhaps a training tire. The wire beaded Armos can be tough to install SO you can give yourself an edge by getting either the Crank Brothers Speed Lever or a tire lever called the VAR, both cost about $10 and makes installing the last 2 inches of the tire a breeze without worring about damaging the tire, tube or the rim. I use the VAR only because it's shorter in length then the Speed Lever thus it fits into my seat bag easier.

You could use a 23 in the front and a 26 in the rear. I commute so my requirements may be different than yours, my commute and training rides taked me over worn out and beat up streets so I use the 26 in the front and a 28 in the rear so that my tires will not track groves and ruts easily and the larger rear will provide a bit more comfort; plus pinch flats from jumping a curb at 20mph with only 120psi or less will not occur with the larger tires unless you have less than 60psi and weigh more than 200.

By the way it's not the wire bead that makes them tough to put on, it's the stiff puncture resistent sidewalls that make it difficult. And the Turbo Armadillo in size 23 is a kevlar beaded tire thus folds and is the lightest of the Armadillos.