View Single Post
Old 05-26-03, 12:55 AM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
> But keep in mind the Armadillos are not racing tires, they are a commuting, light touring and perhaps a training tire. <

Well, I don't know where the line is drawn on what is and what is not a racing tire (I suspect my Grand Prix 4-seasons are not but I don't really know). I see comments from some about being hard to accelerate, but others don't seem to see a real problem

> The wire beaded Armos can be tough to install SO you can give yourself an edge by getting either the Crank Brothers Speed Lever or a tire lever called the VAR <

I'm concerned about that. I had the plain Nimbus tires and they were a pain. I'm thinking, if I buy these, to tell the shop I'll install them myself right there but if I can't do it, its no sale!

I have a Quik Stick myself, plus a regular set when I need a little extra. I think I've seen the speed lever - always wondered how well it would work. Never heard of a VAR.

> makes installing the last 2 inches of the tire a breeze <

The last two inches don't seem to bother me. There is a problem with a somewhat larger area and I have to use the Quik Stick once or twice to get more on, then the last bit usually I can push on.

> You could use a 23 in the front and a 26 in the rear. <

Hmm, I was thinking the opposite for a couple reasons. Wouldn't having the wider tire in front give better stability?

More importantly, I figured I'd start with ONE tire and put it on the back since that is where almost all my flats are. Since I wasn't sure if a 23c would be something I would like, this would serve as a test before I buy a second tire for the front. I do wonder if the thickness of the difference size tires varies (making a 23 easier to puncture).

> I commute so my requirements may be different than yours, my commute and training rides taked me over worn out and beat up streets <

I walk a whole 1/3 mile to work! But my rides are much like commuting. I ride to Waikiki (12.5 miles each way) about five times a week. I want to get there as quickly as possible. A fair portion of the roads are poorly patched so you get some roughness in the ride. I can only think of one section that is grooved. There are some really bad stretches for glass!

I had a stretch of 8 flats in 11 rides. Put in the Mr Tuffy strip in the back and got a flat caused by the strip at 175 miles then another about 40 miles later (not sure if it was from the strip) and another about 12 miles later caused by the strip. I made some adjustments with the installation and went 240 miles this time, but it doesn't look like the strip caused it - it was just outside the strip area.

> By the way it's not the wire bead that makes them tough to put on, it's the stiff puncture resistent sidewalls that make it difficult. And the Turbo Armadillo in size 23 is a kevlar beaded tire thus folds and is the lightest of the Armadillos. <

Ah, so there is a kevlar version. But it won't be easier to install - drat!

BTW, for complete clarity, exactly what Armadillo are you using? Nimbus, Turbo, Turbo lite, whatever.

Bob