View Single Post
Old 04-01-06, 12:15 PM
Pigtire
Just Ride!

Bikes: Diamondback Overdrive, Karate Monkey, Kona Cinder Cone, Beaten up Beach Cruiser, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If she has another bike to cannibalize, she could do it for less...but don't forget the extra cost of the other bike. Other's on this thread have said that they just had the parts laying around but they forget that they had to pay for them at some point. Also, a shop might charge extra to break down the old bike and build the new one.
I should have said that I did pay full retail for some of the parts I have laying around 2-10 years ago(seatpost saddle and LX rear cassette was way back in 96-97) Current parts are the bars and the canti brakes. Because I caught the upgrade bug during the years these parts were relegated to the "Parts Bin". Now that age caught up and being practical and all why buy more parts if I just have them laying around. I would not think how much I paid for them in the past but how much I would saved by just recycling it to a new project.

The bottom line, it can be done cheaply if you have the parts or can get the parts from someone or can get the parts cheaply from someone who has an extensive parts bin. Parts bin rules!