View Single Post
Old 04-06-06, 02:04 PM
motorhommmer

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Brompton, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Why are you fed up with changing the chain? Why do you think that going to an internally geared hub is going to keep you from having to change a chain in the future? How about the derailleur, why is it needing changed?

If you have a Sirrus with an 8 speed drivetrain then with proper maint you should be able to get 5k Km out of the chain easy and I think with proper care that isn't out of the question for a 9 speed either...now with the internally geared hub you could use a bit wider chain for more durability.

But that said...you want to go this route and that is you choice...how about a new frame? You could go with the singulator but I wonder if it would last under conditions that are eating chains and derailleurs. By going to a frame with horizontal dropouts you could eliminate the need for the singulator. You could probably drop in a Surly Crosscheck pretty easy.
9 speed, 4 chains per year, 5k miles commute. Reasonably good at minding drive train, but welcome to wet Ireland. Only getting 1200 miles per chain. Not sure I believe that the Nexus hub can take the wear and tear.