Old 04-08-06, 06:08 AM
Crankypants
Hairy Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomaso
OK, If you can tell me where in the wider area of Montpellier I can cycle on cycling paths for about 5 KM, please let me know.
BTW when you drive/ride around on the N or D-roads (National /départemental) in France, try the count the numerous signs showing the deadly accidents which have occured on the French roads (including many cyclists!). I know France very well, my parents-in-law live in the Hérault-department
O.K. From Montpellier
Option # 1: traverse the esplanade de l'Europe until you arrive at le Lez. On the east side, there is a bicycle path that follows the river 12 km to arrive at the Mediterranean Sea. Very nice ride, but busy with joggers on weekends.
Option #2: Pass the Paul Valery University and take the road leading to the zoo. After you pass the zoo, continue straight through the next two roundabouts to take D112. This is a very quiet road, and there is a bike path on half of it leading to Pic Saint Loup.
From Pic Saint Loup you can ride the Gorges de l'Herault, a stunningly beautiful ride on quiet roads.
Southern France isn't a good place for cycling? Are you kidding?
1. Languedoc Rousillon is an incredibly beautiful region filled with tiny roads that pass through quiet and hidden villages. Riding through les Pays Cathares and the Parc Naturel Regional du Haut Languedoc is highly recommended.
2. Les Cevennes are filled with wonderful cycling routes that aren't even too busy in the middle of the summer vacation season. Highlights include Mt Aigoual, les Gorges du Tarn, and Les Gorges de l'Ardeche (although this area does get a little busy in July-Aug).
3. Provence is an absolute dream with over hundreds of km of bike routes throughout the Luberon. Les Alpilles are another tranquil riding area, and don't forget Mt. Ventoux. All these roads have very little traffic excpt for the slow driving tourists and bicycle racers who tackle the giant of Provence (Ventoux). LEs Gorges du Verdon is another excellent bicycle route.
4. Further east you have the Plateau de Caussols and the Alps-Maritimes that are totally hidden away from tourism, no traffic whatsoever, and pass been incredibly beautiful villages perched high on the cliftops.
5. The Pyrenees............
6. Corsica is still Southern France. Superb cycling!
Throughout my extensive touring of Southern France, I have found the drivers to be very courteous. It is true that trying to find a good ride to leave a city like Montpellier can be nerveracking. Unfortunately, many of my favorite routes are too small to be indicated on the Michelin Atlas Routier Touristique so you need to be lucky or find a highly detailed map!
Bonne Route!