View Single Post
Old 04-08-06, 08:29 AM
killingtime
...until I can ride again

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Six13 After-Burner Fade. Mix of Shimano Ultegra Dura-Ace, 2005 Cannondale R700 -- saffron (orange),Raleigh M-45 mountain bike (green)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far. I appreciate it.

Alright, here's the update. I measured the chain this morning using a tape measure. My center-to-center measurement is ever so slightly between 12 1/16" and 12 1/8", so it looks like the LBS was correct, right? Time to swap the chain? I have found my LBS has been very good to me and has not tried to sell me things I don't need!

As to mileage, I added it up. I have 2144.5 miles on this chain. I read on one bicycle maintenance site that they have seen chains require replacement after only 1500 miles while some last up to 20,000!

As for reasons for the chain stretch so soon, I would love to believe I am an extremely strong rider but I doubt it!

I clean and lube the chain often, however, one thing I recently learned was that I was not getting all of the old lube off before adding more and I was accumulating dirt and gunk on the chain and cogs (my bad!) But I would not say the situation ever got horrible. It just seemed that the chain and cassette were not as shiny as they could be. Could that be enough to cause premature wear?

Last edited by killingtime; 04-08-06 at 08:49 AM.