Old 04-09-06, 05:27 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cabaray
When I posted this thread it never occurred to me that some members do in fact have disabilities. Man, I tip my hat (or should I say helmet) to you, thats amazing that you continue to ride with, not one, but two prosthetics. Question- did you ride before you lost your legs or did you start for rehabilitation reasons? Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but it would be interesting to hear your story.
My story is too long to post here, but I am going to write it and post on a website after the college semester.Here is where my picture was put in the local paper last week.

http://www.starcourier.com/articles/...ews/local2.txt

If you click on the Benefit 4 Life link, the 9th paragraph tells a little of my history.

I did ride a lot before getting prosthetics, but mostly to train for other sports and rehabilitation. Being on a kidney waitimg list for for three years and the seven ampitations put me in very poor shape. Atrophy had me down to 118 pounds and it was an effort to walk. Last spring I had a friend of mine retrieve my ten speed from the garage and started to ride again. I was wobbly and could hardly do a mile, even after riding on a stationary. On May 6 last year I purchased a new Giant Cypress and proceeded to put 700 miles on it before the end of the year.

I use toe clips instead of clipless pedals for a couple of reasons. It is hard to twist my knee far enough to release the clips on SPDs and the toe clips also allows me to use large platforms to reduce heel strike on the crankarm.

Thanks for the compliments, but one young lady who used to post on here empresses me. Serendipity competes in triathlons with a prosthetic.

Last edited by edp773; 04-10-06 at 07:39 PM.