View Single Post
Old 04-11-06, 02:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=brigadon]Thanks for all of the comments.

Why I decided to get one was firstly to get an indication that I wasn't in danger of killing myself through over-exertion.

Probably the reason most of us get one

Secondly, I needed to get some independant reassurance that my usually moderate level of exertion was sufficient to gain some fitness and a bit of strengthening without risking the pleasure I've been getting from my recent return to biking.

Main reason I use mine now is to ensure that I am working hard enough and not taking it easy

Thirdly, there will be a level of exercise intensity below which my present fitness will go backwards and this prospect seems real with advancing age and inconsistent motivation. The HRM might be useful in judging this threshhold.

Same reason as above

I agree with Big Paulie that I will probably get bored with the new gadget and sell it on EBay before long....the young shop assistant who sold it to me said as much. In the meantime my wife appreciates that I'm taking some steps to avoid overdoing things.

Been using mine for 10 years or so---- On and off- but are a good indicator of how fit you are- Once you have found your level of fitness- But I use mine to pace myself over the longer rides and it works. I like to ride at around 140 to 145 BPM. Below that and I am not working hard enough, and above this and I am not going to last. Then where you have to put in effort you do not put in too much effort unless it is required and then not for too long

>> I hope you got an American calibrated heart rate monitor.

>>Those from Europe and other countries use metric heart measurement and >>can give you faulty information.

>>The heart rate conversion formula from metric is metric * 1.6 = American heart rates.

DnvrFox........what does this comment mean?

Think metric and converting KPH to MPH- Same applies to us Europeans on heart rate as we have the hills, the Pollution free air in the mountains and the Extra fitness over most other countries that means that we are able to push ourselves to far greater limits than most mortals.
So divide our quoted heart rates- miles done- %age of hills by 1.6 and you will cut out our advantage of living in a better biking environment -- and our bragging

Did I miss a funny?

May have done

Spike Milligan