View Single Post
Old 04-11-06, 03:39 PM
Makeitso
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Touring Joshua Tree?

I would like to know if anyone has toured around Josua Tree National Monument and if so what was the experience you had. Share you views even if you haven't toured there.

What I plan on doing is driving there with bike and camping gear loaded, camping in one of the many camp grounds there and touring around the park on my bike. I probably won't do much if any off the pavement touring although I hear there are trails to ride on (mabey someday). I plan on making it back to the vehicle each day to sleep and eat and taking some food with me for lunch and snacking, I am looking for suggestions as far as food and so on to take while riding or really any suggestions anyone may have to offer.
Is it better to take somekind of sport drink along or just plain water? I would probably not go further than 20 or 30 miles but will be out most of the day (serveral hours).

Actually this is sort of an experiment to see if I would be like touring on the bike. Most of the stuff I have would be suitable for touring on a bike if I choose not to take the truck.

Also I would like to know if anyone has done any touring leaving from the desert cities in SOCAL. It seems that if you go more than 30 miles in any direction you must go up out of the desert floor, I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Thanks in advance, Jack aka:makeitso