Old 04-14-06, 10:00 AM
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training

Bikes: 07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a subjective component to Cat upgrades?

I am currently a Cat 4, but have 29 upgrade points toward Cat 3. I only needed 20 to upgrade, and it's supposed to be a forced upgrade at 30 points (sandbagger rule).

I tried to pre-register for a race next week as a Cat 3, but the guy won't enter me because I'm still a Cat 4. I told him that I have the necessary points for the upgrade, but am doing one last race as a Cat 4 this weekend, and will request my upgrade to Cat 3 immediately following the race this Saturday. I can't enter Cat 4, because I'll be Cat 3 before the race.

It's like entering a 40+ race when you're 39 but will turn 40 before the race and the guy saying, "Sorry, I can't enter you in this race because you're not 40 yet." Yes, but I will be before the race.

Then I started thinking, maybe that race director knows something I don't know. Maybe, even though I have plenty of points for an upgrade, it will be denied for some reason.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been denied an upgrade for any reason after they met the point requirements?