Old 04-18-06, 07:25 AM
kakman
one post at time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperFi
I'm 55 (birthday was yesterday) and have had the back problem for 20 years. Most of the time I'm ok because after all this time I pretty much know what I can and cannot do. ?
I'm 47. Had a laminectomy 19 months ago and then an emergency L4/5 fusion about 7 months ago. When I started riding again (after 4 weeks) I bought a new Giant OCR1. For a few weeks I wondered whether I made the right choice as I was getting some back issues. I raised the bars a bit and dropped the seat a few mm's. I perservered and find I can now ride up to about 2.5 hours (70kms) without back pain. Actually I could probably go further but it's not my back stopping me

The only time it's a problems is when I push _very_ hard up hills. I rarely use the drops but I find the hoods way more comfortable than my old MTB with bar ends and I really like the STI shifters.

I should point out that for the first 3 or 4 months after surgery I swam 1.5 kms every day. I still swim 2 or 3 times a week and I find it complements riding quite well - I'm sure it's contributed to much more stability and core strength. (The swimming was at my surgeon's recommendation).

Now I'm not advocating you dive in and get your back bolted together but for me, my back is the best it's been in over 5 years - no pain at all in everyday things - it's great.

good luck

//kak