View Single Post
Old 04-18-06, 02:20 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First ride I did after my bypass was a 40 mile organised ride. Lots of grades of riders and I did it on my own- not with my normal group, and I set my Mountain bike up with thin slicks- took everything off it that was going be excesive baggage and lowered the stem- Got the weight down to 19lbs but it was a light bike with all the trick gear on it and was a custom frame that Was good.. It was a recovery ride after the op so wanted things to be easy, and rode with a great number of different riders. Two who stuck out as memorable. One was a mountain biker on the latest "Wallmart" full suspension Mountain bike. Rode with him for about 3 miles and he was telling me about the type of rides he did, Most of which I had done and some were pretty tough. My mountain bike was a bit out of date and would not work offroad-Didn't even have suspension on the front, and you can't go fast unless you have suspension and I had 24 gears which was a waste of effort as He only used 18 and he was fast. Then we came to a moderate hill- only a 12% for about half a mile. As we hit the bottom of the hill- He got off and started walking. Then later on As the ride got some short sharp hills, I came across a group of Club roadies with all the latest gear. Lightweight bikes Made of Chromoly steel and aluminium and they only weighed 20lbs, Big rings and smallrear casssettes, Obviously as a mountain biker trying to look like a roadie- I was looked down upon. Hit the short sharp hills and gradually the group dwindled to 3 of us. Then the fast downhill for 500yards. All I thought of on the downhill was- There is going to some payment for the speed. There was. A nice little 20% for 200 yards then 25% for the final bit. Stayed with the two other roadies and we got chatting and one wanted to ride my bike so we swopped for a mile or so. Turned out that he was an LBS owner in London and wanted to see what the opposition was building. He did apoligise for the "Posers" but they were his customers and they paid the bills. His passing comment was that they were going to go through hell if they could not keep up with a person that had a Heart problem.

Posers- I love them but I am going to meet one some day that can ride the top end bike that he is on. As long as it is not Someone from this forum- I think I will be able to handle it.

Spike Milligan