View Single Post
Old 06-03-03, 11:25 PM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Communications snafus. The hub that got destroyed was on a totally different bike than the one that threw the chain. The chain thing is just user error, not checking my equipment after punishing it on long a55 rides and in the weather. The chain line on the World is iffy too. I just live with it, and remember to make sure all the bolts are tight. As for the drops they are definately horizontal, but Schwinn in all their wisdom manufactured the bike with drops that are filled in so a freewheel wheel would sit in the same position and not move around. That's a great set up for a road bike, but to get a fixed gear I like to have room to move my hub back and forth, so I took a saw to it and need to file it some more. Modifying love it.

For the Surly hub I still have no idea what happened except that it was a wheel that was built poorly, and a possibility that the korean (guessing) sealed wheel bearings were shoddy (it happens). I do know the wheel was built like a regular rear wheel, not as is suggested for building a fixed gear rear wheel, that is Asymetrical, not like your front wheel, okay at least not on a flip/flop hub cause you plan to use both sides, at least I do, so I'd had it in, essentially, backwards, and it blew, and I can't get the old cup out, and the nut that holds it all together sheered. I was going to drop by Surly, as they are in town, and see what they say.

My Surly hub that I built a wheel around (same time I bought the manufactured one) is still standing true, and I road the replacement today, 50 + miles, I'll see how it is when I get home tonight.

I have no problems with Surly, and I don't mean to desuade anyone from buying their hubs, they are really excellent. I have four fixed hubs, 3 are Surly, one is SuZue, and I don't like it half as much as the Surly.